BLEEKER

blah blah blog

Friday, May 13, 2005

I am in love with Lucinda Williams. I have been dealing with this issue for some time. It has been such a struggle throughout the years which I have attempted to come to terms with. I haven't felt this way since I was angst-ridden confused teenager who was in love with Sarah McLachlan and her sweet, sweet voice.

This has all been solidified after I bought Lucinda's live album. As the album unfolds each track sounds more and more inebriated. Though her live shows always contain more of a growl than the studio version, it's laid on quite thickly here. Since this album coincided with her World Without Tears tour, most of the the track listing is comprised of these songs. Unfortunately, some of the best live performances have been sacrificed - "Get Right with God," "Still I Long for Your Kiss," "Right in Time" and WARNING: I don't recommend this album for the first time listener. It sounds more lupine than human. I believe that she devoured a pack of Marlboros and a bottle of Jack Daniels in the greenroom preshow. I love it, but the unintiated may feel as though they are in some cowboy heehaw hell. You are ignorant, but you will learn.

As I listen to the live CD I imagine Lucinda stomping up our dusty drive way, up the steps of the porch, stumbling through the kitchen door of our wooden house on South Congress, kicking in the screen door, beligerent and in a drunken daze demanding her eggs. She yells a stream of incoherent nonesense at the back of my head. Choose your own adventure:
Option (1) I roll my eyes and grit my teeth to keep from starting a fight. What's the point?
Nothing ever changes. Anyway, Thelma will be here in an hour to pick me up for our
cross country trip.
Option (2) I grab the freshly washed glass and throw it across the room. She's stunned and
speechless for a fleeting moment. Her diatribe continues. Nothing ever changes.

She makes her way into the living room and picks up her guitar and begins to write a song about my tragic death from a car crash which resulted in the car exploding and being rear ended into the local lake as I listen from the kitchen while finishing the dishes. I think to myself "This is not how I imagined my life. I need to get out of here. scrub scrub"

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home