BLEEKER

blah blah blog

Friday, May 27, 2005

More urban cowboys

Hem is said to have an Aaron Copeland tinge to their music. Come on, you know, “Where’s the Beef” commercials. Think Conestoga wagons and dinner triangle. I am amazed that a group based in Brooklyn can compose music that is obviously the soundtrack for a cowboy somewhere in the open spaces of Wyoming.

This morning on the subway I forgot that an empty car is not a sign of luck, but rather an indication that a god awful stench permeates within. There were two gigantic pine tree air fresheners residing in this car, doubling the aroma. It did remind me of horseback riding. Otherwise, any ideas of fresh air, a natural quiet and open space have been removed from my memory. This definitely inspires escape. Whereas my plan entails retreating to my darkened 6 ft wide room, Hem somehow imagines glockenspiels and string arrangements in their sprawling landscape amidst the concrete grid and trash bag tumbleweeds. Compared to Manhattan, Brooklyn is a peaceful escape with its rolling hills, lush greenery and free-range, roaming packs of squirrels, but I still do not understand how it is enough to influence such expansive orchestral compositions. Of course, with the help of Sally Ellyson’s voice (reminiscent of Margot Timmons of the Cowboy Junkies) I’m beginning to see the pastures amongst the potholes.

Their cover of Johnny Cash and June Carter’s “Jackson” proves that Hem can see and apply their concept to anything. Hi Johnny, I know you intended this as a duet about infidelity but I’m going to take my musical pickaxe…smash…there, beautiful ballad. All signs of the original plunking dun dun dun dun rockabilly version have been replaced with a nostalgic waltz. You can contrast for yourself (entire pirated versions TK): Sally Ellyson (and Hem) vs. Johnny Cash and June Carter

They are just that good, I suppose, that neither Johnny Cash nor homeless subway riders can divert them from their escape.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home